We arrived at the Holiday Inn (Thanks Holly for the friends & family discount!) in Campeche yesterday afternoon and set out to see the city shortly after arriving. Not going to lie, we weren’t psyched about this city because we couldn’t find a whole lot of exciting reviews. Plus, our original plans to see some ruins on the way were foiled at the bus station. We were told “no es imposible.” However, Campeche was recommended and we had hotel reservations.
Our lackluster attitude quickly changed as our taxi pulled up to the historical center. Our eyes lit up to see a cool historic fortress and colorful buildings lining the streets. This fisherman’s city is quite different from any other I’ve encountered in Mexico.
Here are some highlight from our stay:
- Roaming the city
- Drinking delicious / cute coffee at the cafe while researching Belize
- Being invited to take ballet class (will write all about it on www.offbeatballerina.com)
- Walking along the boardwalk
- Discovering a cemetery (supper creepy… there were broken / open burial sights where we could smell and see human remains)
- Reading pool side
- And working – Dan literary worked all night. Seriously, I went to bed at 11pm and he was still working at 7am… CRAZY!!! I don’t know how he does it.
The adventures continue tomorrow as we discover more Mayan ruins 🙂